I was in charge of pies this year. And while pumpkin is very traditional, my kids like pecan,.
We went to my sister’s house and there were 16 people total. So I made two pumpkin pies and two pecan since there were requests for both. At the end, there was a whole pumpkin pie left and about two thirds of a pecan. So I’d say the preference was for pecan.
Since pecan pie seemed to be the winner in this face-off, here is the recipe. It is really easy to make.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar. (I use my mixer.)
- Add the eggs and beat until the mixture is light in color and frothy.
- Add the corn syrup, flour, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Top with pecans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until golden brown.