This is a decadent chocolate cheesecake. Because of the amount of chocolate in it, it is more dense than a traditional cheesecake. It has a chocolate almond crust, a sour cream topping, and a chocolate drizzle on top.
The sour cream topping is added after the cheesecake is baked and cooled. The tangy sour cream and dark chocolate drizzle offsets the rich sweet cheesecake.
Creamy Chocolate Cheesecake
- springform pan
- 10 rectangles chocolate graham crackers (to make 1 1/2 cups crumbs)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 8oz packages cream cheese
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 12oz package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips melted
For the crust
- Butter or grease a 9 inch springform pan.
- In the blender, blend enough chocolate graham crackers to make 1 1/2 cups crumbs.
- Add the almonds and blend.
- Combine the crumb mixture with the melted butter.
- Press the mixture in the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
For the cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 325 degreese.
- In the mixer, beat the cream cheese and 2/3 cup sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs and beat until blended.
- Add the chocolate chips, cream, and butter to a medium saucepan. Heat over low heat until chocolate is just melted.
- Add chocolate mixture and vanilla to cream cheese mixture an beat until completely blended.
- Pour into crust lined pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes until edges are set. The center will be soft.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove the sides.
- Cool completely. The center will sink when it cools. This is normal.
- Combine the sour cream, vanilla, and sugar. Spread over the top of the cheesecake.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on top.
- Store the cheesecake in the refrigerator.