I made some farmstyle cottage cheese bread the other night with some smothered venison roast and a nice tossed salad. Yum!
This was a nice dense bread. The cottage cheese makes it hearty and rich. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before attempting to slice it or you will crush it. It is that tender.
Farmstyle Cottage Cheese Bread
- ABM or mixer
- Loaf pan, oiled
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup ciottage cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup flour approximately
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp gluten
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp SAF yeast
For the dough (ABM)
- Add all of the ingredients to the pan.
- Use the dough cycle.
- During the intial mixing process, add flour as needed so it forms a ball in the machine.
For the dough (by hand)
- Add all of the dough ingredients to the bowl of your electric mixer.
- Beat for 5 minutes. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Turn on a well floured board and knead with additional flour until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Shape and bake the dough (ABM or by hand)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead for about 10 turns.
- Shape the dough into a slightly oval round and place in a loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size – about 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 45 minutes. When done, it should sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes, then slice.