Son 1 was home this weekend for a visit. So I made one of his favorites – Chicken and Dumplings. (recipe below) This recipe has a more biscuit like dumpling instead of the noodle type found in some recipes.
And we played Settlers of Catan. Our family has always enjoyed playing board games. Many years ago we started a family game night tradition of playing a board game during one of our weekend dinners. I always enjoy the extra time spent around the table and the friendly – or not so friendly – competition.
Settlers of Catan has been a favorite with our family over the years. We also took this one to many Scout camps. I have fond memories of playing this with the Scouts also. It is a strategy game where you collect resources and build cities. First one to ten points wins! It is good for ages 10 and up. The basic game can handle up to four players, but we have the expansion so all six of us can play when everyone is home.
So it was a nice visit with our son. He won the first game. And then later we had a rematch which The Husband won. And when Son 1 went back to Jefferson City, I sent a big container of Chicken and Dumplings with him. A little bit of home for him to enjoy later in the week.
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 or 3 celery stalks sliced
- 4 to 6 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 6 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Combine stock, celery, carrots, onion, parsely, pepper, and chicken in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil on the stove. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken thighs. Cool enough to handle. Dice the meat into bite sized pieces. Discard the bones and skin. Return diced chicken to stock mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and oil to form a stiff dough.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls into the stock mixture. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Serve in bowls.