Last night we went with a simple meal. We had Roast Beef Panini and Creamy Tomato Bisque. It was a nice combination for a December weekday.
DS mentioned that tomato soup is a lesser soup, EXCEPT when you have something to dip in it. 🙂 He liked dipping his sandwich in the soup to blend the flavors.
Creamy Tomato Bisque
This is a creamy version of the classic tomato soup, but is is not overly rich. I make this in the winter using canned tomatoes. Serve with crusty bread or sandwiches.
- medium saucepan
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14oz can tomatoes fire roasted preferred
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in the saucepan.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasoning. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring continuously.
- Boil until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add to the blender in appropriate sized batches. Blend until smooth.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply