Bread baking is so easy, especially with my ABM. So there’s no reason not to have some fresh rye bread every now and then. This is a basic, simple rye. It has great flavor. You can make it seeded or unseeded.
I’ve included instructions for making it with a mixer in case you don’t have an ABM.
Easy Rye Bread
- ABM or mixer
- Baking sheet
To make the dough in an ABM
- Add all of the ingredients except the egg wash and the kosher salt to the pan according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Set on the dough cycle and start.
- While it is kneading, check to see if it needs more flour. It should not be sticking to the sides of the pan. If it is, add additional sprinkles of flour until it forms a ball.
- When the dough cycle is complete, continue with the shaping and baking instructions below.
To make the dough in a mixer.
- Add 1 cup of flour, caraway seed (if using), salt, dried onion, gluten, and yeast to the mixing bowl and mix.
- Add the warm water, brown sugar, and butter and blend to form a thin batter.
- Mix in the rye flour.
- Add additional flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 15 minutes.
- Continue with shaping and baking below.
Shaping and baking
- Grease the cookie sheet.
- Form the dough into a 12 inch oblong loaf and place on the sheet.
- Make a slash down the center of the loaf with a sharp knife.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush the loaf with the egg wash and sprinkle with the kosher salt.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.