I made some farmstyle cottage cheese bread the other night with some smothered venison roast and a nice tossed salad. Yum!
This was a nice dense bread. The cottage cheese makes it hearty and rich. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before attempting to slice it or you will crush it. It is that tender.
Farmstyle Cottage Cheese Bread
Make this rich bread by hand or in your ABM. It makes good sandwich bread the next day.
- ABM or mixer
- Loaf pan, oiled
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cup flour approximately
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp gluten
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp SAF yeast
For the dough (ABM)
- Add all of the ingredients to the pan.
- Use the dough cycle.
- During the intial mixing process, add flour as needed so it forms a ball in the machine.
For the dough (by hand)
- Add all of the dough ingredients to the bowl of your electric mixer.
- Beat for 5 minutes. (Dough will be sticky.)
- Turn on a well floured board and knead with additional flour until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
Shape and bake the dough (ABM or by hand)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead for about 10 turns.
- Shape the dough into a slightly oval round and place in a loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size – about 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 45 minutes. When done, it should sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes, then slice.
Leave a Reply