I cooked up the last of the green tomatoes a few days ago. They keep pretty long in the refrigerator, but it was time for them to go. And with that we say goodbye to our garden produce this year. I made fried green tomato sandwiches with bacon, pickles, and chipotle mayonnaise.
First I sliced the tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick.
Then I put some flour in one bowl and some egg (slightly beaten) in a second bowl. In a third bowl I mixed some cornmeal with some salt and pepper.
I dipped the tomatoes in the flour, and then the egg wash, and then the cornmeal mixture.
Next I heated up a little canola oil in my cast iron skillet. And I fried the tomatoes to a nice golden brown on both sides. I drained them on paper towels.
While they were frying I microwaved a few slices of bacon. I also mixed a little chipotle sauce with some mayonnaise. And I got out the dill pickles.
To make the sandwhiches, I toasted some bread. Then I put on two or three of the fried green tomatoes, a little of of the chipotle mayonnaise, and a couple of slices of bacon. The Husband and I really enjoyed these. Yum!
Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches
- 4 green tomatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
- canola oil
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 tbsp chipolte sauce
- dill pickles
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- Cut the green tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Put 1/2 cup flour in one bowl.
- Put the beaten egg in another bowl.
- In a third bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, the cornmeal, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the canola oil in a heavy skillet.
- Dredge the tomato slices in the flour and then the egg. Dredge in the cornmeal and flour mixture.
- Fry the tomatoes in the hot oil until golden brown.
- Cook the bacon.
- Mix the mayonaise and chipolte sauce.
- Assemble the sandwiches, using the bread, chipolte mixture, several fried green tomatoes, a couple of pieces of bacon, and dill pickles.