I had a request from ZM for Christmas morning breakfast: homemade cinnamon rolls. So the first step is to make some sweet roll dough. This is my favorite sweet dough roll recipe. It is rich and buttery. Because that is what they like!
Sweet Roll Dough
Use this dough to make cinnamon rolls, pecan sticky buns, kolachy, and other sweet treats. This dough can also be made a day ahead of time and left in the refrigerator overnight.
- Mixer or bread machine
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups flour approximately
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp gluten
- 2 tsp SAF yeast
To make in ABM
- Add all of the ingredients to the pan according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Start the dough cycle.
- Check during the cycle. If it appears sticky, add some additional flour.
- When cycle ends, proceed with shaping rolls.
To make by hand with a mixer
- Heat the milk and butter until warm (about 120 degrees)
- In the bowl of your mixer, add 2 cups of flour, the milk mixture, sugar, salt, egg, and gluten.
- Mix until ingredients are moistened.
- Mix in the yeast.
- Add additional flour untill it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, addling additional sprinkles of flour as needed.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Proceed with shaping rolls.
You can make this dough the day before you use it. Instead of shaping your rolls immediately, cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to make your rolls, punch it down and continue with shaping.
Leave a Reply